Now Listen Up!

Welcome Aboard Tigers!
Please register and connect with us.
Semper Fi!

Memorium for those we lost
http://www.vmfa542.com/memorium/

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK
https://www.facebook.com/groups/vmfa542/members/

We now have the ability to accept donations to help pay for this site.
It takes $221 to keep this site up and running each year.
Click this link or the "Donate" button in the top right menu.
http://www.vmfa542.com/vmfa542forum/donate.php

Thank you for your support. 2017 Sgt John Turner ComNav 65

2014 Reunion Photos Here: http://www.vmfa542.com/reunions/2014DC/2014VMFA542DCReunionPhotos/

2015 Reunion Photos Here: http://www.vmfa542.com/reunions/2015SD/

2016 Reunion Photos Here: http://vmfa542.com/reunions/2016DC/

2017 Reunion Photos Here: http://vmfa542.com/reunions/2016DC/

2018 VMFA 542 Reunion
TBA East Coast August 2018

Major Glenn Gates Jacks KIA 19 October 1967

To pay Our respects to those whom we knew & are now gone. If you have any photos of our lost comrades please post them here.

Major Glenn Gates Jacks KIA 19 October 1967

Postby Jerry Nicholson » 09 Mar 2011, 14:52

1967/10/19 F-4B 151457 VMFA-542 WH-2 Crashed taking off from Chu Lai
MAJ Glenn Gates Jacks (KIA)
20140726_181350.jpg

25226_Jacks_Glenn_Gates_DOB_19331.jpg

Glenn Gates Jacks
Major
VMFA-542, MAG-13, 1ST MAW, III MAF
United States Marine Corps
Laurel, Mississippi
March 08, 1933 to October 19, 1967
GLENN G JACKS is on the Wall at Panel 28E Line 040
http://www.virtualwall.org/dj/JacksGG01a.htm
----------------------------------------------------------
June 6, 2014
I received this email from the daughter of Maj Glen G. Jacks, VMFA 542. Maj Jacks was killed in an F4B Crash in Chu Lai Vietnam on October 19, 1967. If anyone has any info on how to get Maj Jacks records updated, please respond and I will ensure the info gets to Wendy. If you knew Maj Jacks and would like to correspond with Wendy please let me know.

Jerry,

You are most welcome.

I am very grateful for the site being established.

I was able to read a firsthand account of the events that occurred when my dad's Phantom F-4 went down. I sat in my car and just simply fell apart. I'd always been told that my dad did a very brave thing. But hearing the Marine describe his respect for my father, Maj Glenn Gates Jacks, and describing his feeling regarding the entire incident was simply overwhelmiing.

I have printed all that was written. It is imperative that my children are able to truly understand from where it is they come. My son, Gates, turned 7 on June 1st. And my daughter, Avery, turned 3 on June 3rd.

Like myself, it will be in Heaven when they first meet their grandfather and Joan, grandmother. My mother was 6 months pregnant with me when my dad went down, October 19, 1967. I was born January 15, 1968. She was due with me in mid-December. But told her OB that she would "not have this baby this year...this has been a bad year...." She was a woman of incredible and immeasurable strength. And to this day and especially since I have had children myself, I do not know how she raised four of us alone. How she managed to rise every day and continue with the laborious tasks of raising very young children, and a brand new baby, never getting a break, is as heroic as my father's actions were that day with his jet.

I have always been and am so proud of my entire family. Growing up my mother made certain we knew the stories of our dad, and she spoke of his career accomplishments often. He represented the USMC at NATO in Rome when he was a new major. Mother always said the higher up affiliated with NATO told the USMC they could not send a major. It was unacceptable. But the Corps response was that they would send Glenn Jacks or they would send no one.

There are the stories of a close friend of my dad's doing a flyover....right over my parent's house very early in the morning... and my dad literally FLEW out of the bed yelling some choice words ;).... That friend always stated, "that damn Glenn...he can always outfly me...."

My dad was the kind of man who was over at another family's home only a couple of days prior to him leaving for Vietnam. He and my mom helping another wife get things squared away with her home, as her husband was deployed.

I pray one day we will all be together again.

My dad's parents were amazing people as well. There are simply too many stories to tell of William and Ouida Jacks. But it is not shocking in the least that they raised a son who put many others' lives ahead of his own.
I am proud to be a Jacks and I am amazingly blessed.

I apologize for this rambling letter. I get carried away when I get to speak of these things with someone I think can truly relate.

I would be grateful if you could tell me the place to go to truly get accurate records of my dad's medals and awards.

My kind husband, Chris Gigliotti, separated from the Marine Corps right before we married. He is an amazing person as well. He actually researched and learned the medals my dad SHOULD have received and had these mounted with a flag in a case. My son, Gates, was 3 years old when Chris did this. Gates loves to hear the story about his grandfather and often asks me to tell him the story of his jet. He is fascinated by it. But Gates stated he wanted the flag and medals in his room. This hangs at the head of his bed and gives me the best feeling every night when I put him to bed. A true legacy represented right there for this most handsome, smart little guy to know.

Lastly, I will tell you of a funny story that happened nearly 25 years ago. Mom moved us from Tustin, CA when I was 6 months old. We relocated back to Pensacola, FL where Dad had gone through flight school and my oldest brother, Glenn was also born.

So I was maybe 21 years old and was out with my girlfriends meeting cute boys and having cocktails of some sort or another. Long story long, a cute young flight student started chatting with me. It was not long before he discovered that my dad flew the F-4. His jaw dropped and he immediately started yelling at all of his buddies. They all surrounded me as if I was some sort of a rock star. They said, "Do you realize we watch videos of the take offs and landing of those guys?! It is amazing!!!! No, no, no....you don't get it! It is REALLY amazing! Like those guys were the BEST!"

Anyway, it was something. And just another time I was able to hear of the respect for what my dad did.

I really appreciate all you are doing with the site.
Thank you for caring.

Jerry,

I speak on behalf of my entire family. We would be honored for you to share our story on the VMFA forum and other venues.

I appreciate your encouraging words as well. Thank you.

I know my father had the utmost respect for the enlisted men he served with. As a matter of fact, when my oldest brother Glenn was a very young child, I think may 7 or 8, he made a comment while riding in the car with my parents. He said, "When I grow up, I am either going to be a general, or a sergeant major!" My dad calmly replied, "Well that's good son. Either way you will be at the top." I love that story. It truly embodies how my family was and is.

My brother, Glenn, never did join the military. My mom couldn't have taken it. She loved the Marine Corps, but the fear of losing her child would have been too much. Glenn has gone on to do truly great things and is an entrepreneur. He, like my father, is legendary in his own right. But it's not surprising. Blessed we are with such a family.

Thank you again for your kind words Jerry.

Wendy
Sincerely,
Wendy Jacks Gigliotti
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jerry Nicholson on 22 Oct 2017, 21:17, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: updated with email info
Jerry Nicholson
"Semper Fidelis".
You can join the Army, you can join the Navy and you can join the Air Force but, you BECOME a Marine!
Having earned the title of Marine it becomes a integral part of who and what we will become later in life.
Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Location: San Fernando Valley Section of Los Angeles, California
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Nicholson
Nickname: Nick
Arrive-Depart: May 68-Aug 69
shop: Com-Nav

Re: Major Glenn Gates Jacks 10/19/1967

Postby Jerry Nicholson » 19 Jul 2011, 10:19

I am looking for info on Glenn Gates Jacks Major in the US Marine Corps out of VMFA-542, died taking off from Chu Lai 10/19/1967. He is my cousin, my son is named after him. Any personal memories of him would be welcome

steve phillips
steveandkayphillips(at)charter.net
Jerry Nicholson
"Semper Fidelis".
You can join the Army, you can join the Navy and you can join the Air Force but, you BECOME a Marine!
Having earned the title of Marine it becomes a integral part of who and what we will become later in life.
Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Re: Major Glenn Gates Jacks KIA 19 October 1967

Postby bigstick » 05 Oct 2012, 11:27

I was member of the Ordnance Shop from Dec. 1966 to Nov. 1967. I have fond memories of Major Jacks. He was an Exceptional Marine Aviator and a fine Marine. I recall his great sense of humor and the respect he had for all of his fellow Marines, especially the "grunts" on the ground that seem to always need our support. Major Jacks and his ( RIO )Fred MacGreary were a excellent aircrew. They were encouraging to all and seemed to help us forget the stress of the day and just how tired we all were. I recall times when they would return from a sortie, stay in the aircraft during hot re-fuleing while we would be loading ordnance on the plane only to take off again for another sortie. Major Jacks and Lt MacGreary were great men to serve with in Vietnam. They both understood the need that our "grunts" had on the ground. They were occasions I remember when Major Jacks returned from a sortie, only to find the top branches of trees lodged in the external bomb racks. That is the definition of " close air support".

I was there on that fate full day 10/19/1967. I was on the flight line that day. The plane was loaded with (12) Snake Eye 500lb Bombs and I pulled the safety pins on the bomb racks and watched the plane taxi down toward the end of the runway. The F4 toke off with full afterburners and I started to walk back to the shop when I heard a sound of flame out from one of the engines. I looked up and saw the F4 turning toward the South China Sea and then I heard what was a flame out of the other J79 Engine. The F4 hit the ground soon afterwards and all 12 bombs detonated upon impact. Major Jacks could have kept the plane headed north and avoided the turn, and they both could have ejected and survived, but Major Jacks did not do this because it would have destroyed the village ( An Ton) at the end of the runway. Major Jacks marched to a different drummer and saved the village. A fine man that I am glad to have met in this journey of life. A moment in life that I will never forget until I see Maj Jacks in the great beyond. One week later I was transferred TDY to Atsigu Naval Air Station, Atsigu, Japan until January of 1968.

I will search my photos and see if I can find any pictures that I can send to his relative.

Semper Fi"

LCpl-Sgt Thomas Smith
VMFA 542
Ordanance Shop
bigstick

First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Smith
Nickname: Mountaineer
Arrive-Depart: 12/66-11/67
shop: Ordnance

Postby vanmac » 29 Jun 2013, 16:20

Maj. Jacks was one of two Marine jet pilots from Jones County, Mississippi to lose their lives in Viet Nam.
He is buried at the National Cemetery in Natchez, Miss.
vanmac

First Name: Van
Last Name: McCarty
Arrive-Depart: 6/26/13
shop: Power Plants

Postby vanmac » 06 Apr 2014, 17:01

F-4B involved in fatal crash.

vanmac

Postby vanmac » 21 Mar 2017, 05:40

Then Capt. Jacks served with VMF(AW)-115 during the years 1959 - 1961. He was the squadron's Flight and Training Officer. You'll find his picture and more history on the Skyray era at this web site: http://vmf-aw-115-59-61.org/. Click on Cruisebook.
vanmac

Postby Jerry Nicholson » 21 Mar 2017, 17:39

Van, thanks for sharing.
Jerry Nicholson
"Semper Fidelis".
Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Return to In Memorium